Beekeepers, If anyone has a bee related question please place that question here in comments or reply. We have some awesome beekeepers that are very happy to answer. 

Please remember that the information expressed here are their Opinions.

Views: 2563

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

What about after extracting?  Does cold water get the leftover honey out?  

this sounds weird but i bring mine into the shower and clean it with the hottest water that comes out of the tap and then let it dry on a towel in my kitchen.... after I use it I leave it outside, away from my apiary due to robbing, and let the bees clean it out. afterward, I bring it back into the shower, rinse and repeat. when I put it away I make sure it is dry and store it in a clear yard debris bag in my garage. the clear bag is to help me keep an eye on it to avoid any mold in the bag but also keep out any dust or whatever drifts around in there.

the first time you use it you will fumble a bit but once you get the hang of it you will be spinning out that honey like a pro! good luck!

Fred Beiderbecke said:

I have a two frame extractor.  I am going to harvest some frames shortly.  I have never used the extractor.  How do I clean it?  I am assuming it needs to be completely dry before extracting.  That looks like that might be a challenge.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Just a  word about the extractors!/ when u are finished . place the extractor by your bees<lay it on it's side and the bees will clean it of all honey. Then you can rinse and dry thoroughly.

Warning: Palm Beach County to Conduct Aerial Spraying for Mosquitoes Tuesday Evening, June 21st

The Palm Beach County Division of Mosquito Control will be conducting aerial spraying beginning a half hour after sunset on Tuesday, June 21st, 2022, weather permitting.

Aerial spraying is in response to increased nuisance mosquito levels and does not involve any vector borne disease threat. The planned coverage area includes approximately 260,000 acres covering populated areas west of Military Trail. This area includes the Jupiter region, the Acreage/Loxahatchee/Royal Palm Beach region, Palm Beach Gardens, Wellington, unincorporated Lake Worth, Boynton Beach, Delray Beach, Boca Raton and the Glades communities of Pahokee, Belle Glade, South Bay and Lake Harbor.

Should weather cause a cancelation, the county will continue to attempt to spray by aircraft each evening until a successful spray operation is completed. To find out if aerial spraying was successfully completed, please call the AIR SPRAY HOTLINE at 561-642-8775 to hear the most up to date information about the operation.

If you are going be outdoors after dark, use an insect repellent containing DEET and wear long pants and a long-sleeve shirt. To further help control mosquitoes, residents are asked to drain or minimize standing water on their properties.

======================================================================
UPDATE: Aerial spraying was postpone until tomorrow, 06/22/2022, due to high winds. 
Please call
561-642-8775 for the latest updates.

I was working in the yard today and noticed when I was back by the hives (maybe 20 feet away) I could smell honey.  I have never noticed that before.  There are 3 hives back there.  The oldest has two deeps and a super.  I harvested from it about a month ago.  The next hive is newer, it has 2 deeps, the 2nd deep was put on a few weeks ago.  The last hive had the 2nd deep put on last week.  Activity looks good.

Last inspection things looked good.  There was room in the middle hive for growth and the older hive had room and looked good.  The last hive was at the point of needing a deep which I added.

Should I be concerned?  Is there anything I should do?  

Just the main concern is keeping space in the hive for the queen to lay eggs and enough room for nectar so the bees don't backfill in the brood area.

Fred Beiderbecke said:

I was working in the yard today and noticed when I was back by the hives (maybe 20 feet away) I could smell honey.  I have never noticed that before.  There are 3 hives back there.  The oldest has two deeps and a super.  I harvested from it about a month ago.  The next hive is newer, it has 2 deeps, the 2nd deep was put on a few weeks ago.  The last hive had the 2nd deep put on last week.  Activity looks good.

Last inspection things looked good.  There was room in the middle hive for growth and the older hive had room and looked good.  The last hive was at the point of needing a deep which I added.

Should I be concerned?  Is there anything I should do?  

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Events

Caught A Swarm 2022

2022 "Caught a Swarm" Map

"Click' on link below:

https://palmbeachbeekeepers.org/forum/topics/2022-caught-a-swarm-1?xg_source=activity

To join the group "Swarm Catchers" go to Groups

https://www.palmbeachbeekeepers.org/group

© 2022   Created by Palm Beach County Beekeepers.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service