Beekeepers, If anyone has a bee related question please place that question here in comments or reply. We have some awesome beekeepers that are very happy to answer. 

Please remember that the information expressed here are their Opinions.

Views: 2602

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Wenceslao, Please remember that these are just opinions. One thing, go to this website http://www.bushfarms.com/beesswarmcontrol.htm ; scroll down to the paragraph about "Opening the Broodnest". You can read that they use a BBEBBEBBEB where B is brood comb and E is an empty frame.  But, when doing this please check the hive within 10 days. I have always have them draw out the frame.

Lee Wisnioski said:

Wenceslao, Do you want to change  all the comb out at the same time?

Most beekeepers replace 20% of old comb annually.  Therefore every five years it has all been replaced.

It is not a good idea to place a new frame with foundation in the middle of a hive.  You might cause the bees to not cross it as it is seen as a barrier.  If you replace an old brood comb frame with a new frame that has drawn comb from a honey super it would be ok to place that in the middle.

It is best to remove from one end and replace from the other.  Keep in mind where the entrance is located which will enable you to understand where the brood nest and honey storage are located.

Good Luck

Hi I am new to the hobby and I am looking to start a hive. I am in the midst of building my hive box, but I do not have a place to place it. Does anyone have or know of an available location to help me start out. 

I am a renter and my landlord does not allow it

Hopefully, Someone knows of a location.

yitzi said:

I'm not sure of an area that is in southern Palm Beach County. Is there a reason why you cannot keep them at your location?

yitzi said:

Hi I am new to the hobby and I am looking to start a hive. I am in the midst of building my hive box, but I do not have a place to place it. Does anyone have or know of an available location to help me start out. 

Yes I am hopeful since I desperately want to enter the hobby 
Palm Beach County Beekeepers said:

Hopefully, Someone knows of a location.

yitzi said:

i have some space in my yard to plant some low maintenance(preferably plant it and forget it :P) plants and i would love some suggestions i definitely dont want anything i need to replace annually though. or anything that spreads wildly. thanks in advance :)  

Thomas, that depends if you want Florida natives or not. I like lantana, blue daze, and salvias. I don't care for annuals. I don't buy from the chain stores. I believe they produce them to only last so long as a perennial so then you have to purchase them within 2 years.

Thomas said:

i have some space in my yard to plant some low maintenance(preferably plant it and forget it :P) plants and i would love some suggestions i definitely dont want anything i need to replace annually though. or anything that spreads wildly. thanks in advance :)  

We still have this discussion page still open for anyone who has a question! There has been plenty in the past. 

VERY HAPPY, BUT DON’T KNOW WHAT TO DO NEXTToday, while clearing out a huge Florida holly tree growth( like 75’ in diameter, I found a beehive in a tree. I am new to beekeeping and don’t yet have my first hive or equipment. Do I:

leave them alone? Or 2. Build and deploy a bait hive box? Or 3. Run out and get a langstoth hive box and put it near the wild hive?

Good morning, Can you see the size of the hive? Are they on a branch? 

Can somebody provide the name of the supplier that delivers to the monthly meetings?  I'd like to order a starter kit and hood.

Thanks

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Events

Caught A Swarm 2022

2022 "Caught a Swarm" Map

"Click' on link below:

https://palmbeachbeekeepers.org/forum/topics/2022-caught-a-swarm-1?xg_source=activity

To join the group "Swarm Catchers" go to Groups

https://www.palmbeachbeekeepers.org/group

© 2022   Created by Palm Beach County Beekeepers.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service