Beekeepers, If anyone has a bee related question please place that question here in comments or reply. We have some awesome beekeepers that are very happy to answer. 

Please remember that the information expressed here are their Opinions.

Views: 2611

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

PBC Division of Mosquito Control will be conducting aerial spraying beginning a half hour after sunset on Thursday, July 29th, 2021.
Planed coverage: approximately 100,000 acres covering populated areas west of Interstate 95 in the Jupiter Farms region, the Acreage/Loxahatchee/Royal Palm Beach region, and the Glades communities of Pahokee, Belle Glade, South Bay and Lake Harbor.
https://discover.pbcgov.org/erm/Pages/Mosquito-Control.aspx

my first removal was awesome and i actually caught the queen but i ran into an ant problem and they absconded after 3 weeks (my fault for not doing inspections and catching the ant problem, this is all new to me).... now i helped remove another colony but could not manage to get the queen as my friend's vac broke as soon as we suited up and ripped up floorboards in a shed. the queen was way back in the corner out of reach. i didnt want to smash her with my big clumsy hands trying to scoop her out..... so sad. i know she is still there but cant wreck this guy's shed looking for her.

long story short is that i have a queenless colony, and no cells with young enough brood to make a queen. what im looking/asking for is a local queen or a frame with some young "to be queen" size brood. i would love to watch them make queen cells and do it themselves but i dont think that is going to happen. after 3 days i did an inspection and no queen caps. any help out there for a newbee trying to learn the ways? or a local queen for sale?

im in Delray 561-859-6501.

ALSO if anyone wants a tag-along helper for any removals or apiary chores i will work for free in exchange for advice/knowledge. i'll even bring a cold beer for you for when we are done!

just wanted to update my situation... did an inspection on Saturday and saw close to 10 queen cups. hopefully, they are fixing their own situation and the queen will mate and make it back safely. 

PBC Division of Mosquito Control will be conducting aerial spraying beginning a half hour after sunset on Thursday, September 30th 2021.

The planned coverage area includes populated areas west of Military Trail and north of Southern Blvd. This area includes the Jupiter region, the Acreage/Loxahatchee/Royal Palm Beach region, Palm Beach Gardens, Wellington, and the Glades communities of Pahokee, Belle Glade, South Bay and Lake Harbor.

To find out if aerial spraying was successfully completed, please call the AERIAL SPRAY HOTLINE at 561-642-8775 to hear the most up-to-date information about the operation.

Hello Everybody,

Did anybody have any side effects from the mosquito spraying?   Did anybody lose any bees?

During the last meeting someone mentioned buying a Kona Queen. Where is the best place (in your opinion) to buy a nuc and is it too late in the season to do so? I have around 10 orchid trees blooming in my yard, so there still is somewhat of a food source for the bees. I can also buy an internal feeder as also suggested in the meeting.

Jessica - Did you have any success? I am new to all of this and wondering if November is too late to begin.

Jessica Geffen said:

I am ready to assemble my hive but wonder if this is the best time of year to start. Is there a best time/weather etc to start?

I also started in November and the bees are doing fantastic :-) If your box is not waxed, I would recommend to paint it (only on the outside) so that it will last longer.
Regarding starting now, in South Florida we are lucky to live in "paradise" and have a beautiful weather all year around. You should have no worries about a dearth, or lack of nectar/pollen.  You can feed them if you like, but this is optional. This is only for areas that freeze or there is a monoculture, like farm land where commercial beekeepers have tens and tens of hives in one location.   For backyard beekeepers, our suburban area provides a year round feast for the bees. In my community, everybody has beautiful flowers which are blooming all the time, so bees are foraging and doing great in the "winter" as well.
Italian bees are some of the best for our area as they are very well adapted to longer summers and mild winters. They are gentle and produce lots of honey, and they are easier to manage by beginners as well as experienced beekeepers.  Kona queen breeder is one of thousands of breeders who are breading Italians bees.
I have nucs with Italian queens for sale - if you are interested contact me at ftmail@yahoo.com

Thank you for responding. I just sent you an email.

Florin said:

I also started in November and the bees are doing fantastic :-) If your box is not waxed, I would recommend to paint it (only on the outside) so that it will last longer.
Regarding starting now, in South Florida we are lucky to live in "paradise" and have a beautiful weather all year around. You should have no worries about a dearth, or lack of nectar/pollen.  You can feed them if you like, but this is optional. This is only for areas that freeze or there is a monoculture, like farm land where commercial beekeepers have tens and tens of hives in one location.   For backyard beekeepers, our suburban area provides a year round feast for the bees. In my community, everybody has beautiful flowers which are blooming all the time, so bees are foraging and doing great in the "winter" as well.
Italian bees are some of the best for our area as they are very well adapted to longer summers and mild winters. They are gentle and produce lots of honey, and are easier to manage by beginners as well as experience beekeepers. Kona queen breeder is one of thousands of breeders who are breading Italians bees.
I have nucs with Italian queens for sale - if you are interested contact me at ftmail@yahoo.com

I lost a ton of bees right after. I'm hoping my hives recover.

Florin said:

Hello Everybody,

Did anybody have any side effects from the mosquito spraying?   Did anybody lose any bees?

Curt, Sorry to hear this, I had this problem last year but luckily this year they have not sprayed in my area - Boynton Beach.
You are the only member replying to this so hopefully everybody else was ok.
I posted the date and location of mosquito spraying with the goal that members of our association will post ways to protect the bees when the pesticide spraying happens.

Curt, the picture looks more like death from a robbing event.  Usually pesticide it looks much different.  In ten years I have not known of anyone losing bees to mosquito spraying.

Hope this helps, Lee  

Curt Siegmeister said:

I lost a ton of bees right after. I'm hoping my hives recover.

Florin said:

Hello Everybody,

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Events

Caught A Swarm 2022

2022 "Caught a Swarm" Map

"Click' on link below:

https://palmbeachbeekeepers.org/forum/topics/2022-caught-a-swarm-1?xg_source=activity

To join the group "Swarm Catchers" go to Groups

https://www.palmbeachbeekeepers.org/group

© 2022   Created by Palm Beach County Beekeepers.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service