Beekeepers, If anyone has a bee related question please place that question here in comments or reply. We have some awesome beekeepers that are very happy to answer. 

Please remember that the information expressed here are their Opinions.

Views: 2602

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Should I put supers on my hives at this time of year? 

Good morning, this time of the year the colony most likely has in reduced size. There are a lot of areas where beekeepers have to feed the bees due to the lack of storage. This can happen at any time during the dry season.

Once the shortest day of the year, December 21st. The bees will take que and start to expand the colony slowly.

For example, in my location I still have supers that were left on and NOT added. They were still using them because we just had mild nectar flow. This can change at any time. I monitor this, the reason being is that if the bees consume the nectar/honey I will pull the super. That additional space makes it more difficult for the bees to keep pests out of the hive.

Also, if they colony becomes very small, I will also pull the super.

The amount of room that you have in your hives is the determine factor. Your entrances will also tell you. Are the bees just hanging out? Is there heavy amount of traffic at the entrance? Do you smell nectar drying in the yard? 

My apologies, for being long winded....lol 

Felix Jimenez said:

Should I put supers on my hives at this time of year? 

Angie,  thank you so much for your reply.  It explained a lot of my observations.  I think I'll just keep the supers off for now and feed them until just before the spring flow. 

No problem, one thing, don't feed and have supers on at the same time. The bees will take the excess sugar syrup and place it into the super. It will then not bee true nectar for them to dry down into honey. In other works it will make a mess...lol 

Felix Jimenez said:

Angie,  thank you so much for your reply.  It explained a lot of my observations.  I think I'll just keep the supers off for now and feed them until just before the spring flow. 

hi all! alright so, i bought all my beekeeping supplies last year and then had back to back hip surgeries and was not able to actually start beekeeping, which was such a bummer. i'm excited and hopeful that this year i'll be able to actually move forward with beekeeping! my big question right now has to do with pesticides. we have a major ant infestation inside our house that needs to be handled. how can i handle the ants but keep my bees alive? is there a way to accomplish both things? are there companies that specialize in bug treatment without harming bees? help!! thank you! 

Hi!  I got my first colony last Saturday…so hapBEE! Questions, questions, questions!

1. Does anyone use a metal/screen entrance reducer, rather than the wooden block that comes with the hive box kit?

2. I want to get a torch to light the smoker, so I’m looking for suggestions from anyone who uses one and likes theirs (brand, model ?).

3. If anyone is near the Jupiter Farms area on a Monday/Thurs/Sat/Sun and would like to show me the ropes of inspecting my hive, I’d be greatful for any education on what I’m looking at and for.

Thanks for your help in any of the above!

Bee Cool!

Collyn

Good morning, I will try to answer this the best I can. There are companies that advertise that the are eco friendly. You can always ask them for a MSDS (Materials Safety Data Sheet) to see what they are going to use. You can then research online to see if this product/service is something that you would like. 

Maybe someone else can give an opinion. 

ace tilton ratcliff said:

hi all! alright so, i bought all my beekeeping supplies last year and then had back to back hip surgeries and was not able to actually start beekeeping, which was such a bummer. i'm excited and hopeful that this year i'll be able to actually move forward with beekeeping! my big question right now has to do with pesticides. we have a major ant infestation inside our house that needs to be handled. how can i handle the ants but keep my bees alive? is there a way to accomplish both things? are there companies that specialize in bug treatment without harming bees? help!! thank you! 

Question:  https://www.fdacs.gov/Agriculture-Industry/Bees-Apiary/Ag-Apiary-Ma...

Why am I not seeing more apiary locations in Palm Beach County on this map?

Anyone know?

Thanks!

Collyn

Collyn, good afternoon, from the paragraph on the top of the page from the link.....

The Florida Apiary/Citrus Industry Link Mapping Service was created to promote and simplify communications between the apiary and citrus industries. The online mapping service is an easy-to-use interface that provides owner contact information for citrus groves and apiaries, thus allowing direct communication between industries. Beekeepers can report apiary locations, and citrus growers can contact beekeepers before pesticide applications. 

This map is designed for the Citrus industry. We don't have really citrus in Palm Beach County. This does no depict all the registered beekeepers. 

Collyn Carey said:

Question:  https://www.fdacs.gov/Agriculture-Industry/Bees-Apiary/Ag-Apiary-Ma...

Why am I not seeing more apiary locations in Palm Beach County on this map?

Anyone know?

Thanks!

Collyn

Caught a swarm in a top bar swarm box on top of a ladder I built. I left them alone for a week then one night I moved the swarm box about 40 feet across my yard (put frons in front of the entrance) and put it above where their new hive is. Would it be to much to transfer the swarm to the box a day later or should I wait a few more days. The swarm box was completely empty with on some lemon grass oil and bees wax brushed on the top bar tracks. I can see the forager bees are coming back to box with a bunch of pollen all over them.

Note: the day after moving them I hade a small patch of bees that returned to the old location of the box which I swept up and netted and brought over to the new location. 
AGAIN, when would be a good time to transfer the bees from the top bar swarm box (which I have not opened) to their new top bar hive?

I have a two frame extractor.  I am going to harvest some frames shortly.  I have never used the extractor.  How do I clean it?  I am assuming it needs to be completely dry before extracting.  That looks like that might be a challenge.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Fred, I just use cold water. I let mine air dry before use.

Fred Beiderbecke said:

I have a two frame extractor.  I am going to harvest some frames shortly.  I have never used the extractor.  How do I clean it?  I am assuming it needs to be completely dry before extracting.  That looks like that might be a challenge.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Events

Caught A Swarm 2022

2022 "Caught a Swarm" Map

"Click' on link below:

https://palmbeachbeekeepers.org/forum/topics/2022-caught-a-swarm-1?xg_source=activity

To join the group "Swarm Catchers" go to Groups

https://www.palmbeachbeekeepers.org/group

© 2022   Created by Palm Beach County Beekeepers.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service