Hey guys,

I just moved back to South Florida and have this new aspiration to become a beekeeper. I've read on a few things and I'm just learning about them. However, I want to start with getting hands on experience and hopefully manage my first hive soon. Any suggestion y'all might have for a person starting out? I've read its recommended to get a mentor. 

I really appreciate any answers. 

Thank you, 

Rose 

Views: 45

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Rose. I am also new. I do not have any bees yet. Did you end up getting any help? 

Not yet, I want to join the zoom meetings to see if anyone knows of someone but my work schedule doesn’t allow it. I have a lot of free time during the week since I only work overnights Wed,Thur,Fri. If I hear of anything, I’ll let you know.

Thanks! There are mentors listed in the "Mentor" section of this website. I actually just found out that one of the people listed lives in my neighborhood. I gave him a call and he is willing to give me a few tips! Maybe you can also find a mentor that lives close to you. 

Hi Rose - I’m just starting out myself.  The mentor list is very helpful because it displays by zip code.  Like Jennifer Lee, I found Joanie (mentor) who is a stone’s throw from my home.  But, my bees are being kept on a friend’s property approx. 15-20 mins from my home.  So it may be useful to have more than one “mentor” that you can call/text/hands on help for ease of working with your schedule, and your proximity to where you will keep your bees.  Also, even though it might be “the blind leading the blind”, I wouldn’t mind some bee-friendly company when I inspect my hives.  I believe your are further south than me, but if you want to travel up to Jupiter, we can try to plan something.  Just text me if you want to 561.818.8040.  Bee cool!

I would like to know if there is a beginner’s beekeeping class? I’m a newbie!

Collyn Carey said:

Hi Rose - I’m just starting out myself.  The mentor list is very helpful because it displays by zip code.  Like Jennifer Lee, I found Joanie (mentor) who is a stone’s throw from my home.  But, my bees are being kept on a friend’s property approx. 15-20 mins from my home.  So it may be useful to have more than one “mentor” that you can call/text/hands on help for ease of working with your schedule, and your proximity to where you will keep your bees.  Also, even though it might be “the blind leading the blind”, I wouldn’t mind some bee-friendly company when I inspect my hives.  I believe your are further south than me, but if you want to travel up to Jupiter, we can try to plan something.  Just text me if you want to 561.818.8040.  Bee cool!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

© 2022   Created by Palm Beach County Beekeepers.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service